Thursday 24 January 2013

I DARE YOU

Hello Everyone,
              Today I am here with a personal challenge that I have done myself and thought it would be fun for others to try as well. I have found that in my life over time, I became so attached to certain products of this society it became unimaginable to see myself without them. I mean, there is absolutely nothing wrong with these products however, I realized that I was so dependent on them it was almost like I was unable function without them. As insignificant as it might seem, I defined my beauty by these products.
 That for me was unacceptable, so I gave myself a challenge, I began detoxing myself just prove to me that, it does not define me, I am beautiful with or without it and to leap further into my personal growth. If you are a woman that this applies to and you ABSOLUTELY find it hard to take this challenge then you need to do some self evaluation, how do I define my beauty?  Come on I DARE YOU………….
 
  1. NO WEAVE OR EXTENSIONS
About last year this time, I challenged myself to wear no weave or extensions for a year. It was scary at first, I was having anxiety attacks and truthfully a part of me didn’t believe my true beauty was on display without my extensions. Eventually, I began doing research on youtube on ways to style my hair and I loved!!!! It was amazing to be able to scratch my head lolol, run my hand through my hair and let myself go. I was not perfect with this challenge BUT taking on this challenge does not mean you need to be. Just try it for whatever amount of time you are comfortable with. It was important for me to see myself as beautiful without the weave. NOW, I love the kink in my hair, I actually hate when it is freshly permed and flat, and I am contemplating going natural but babysteps!!!! Lolololol I do wear extensions now and again but, I do not need it to feel beautiful and it does not define me.
 
  1. NO MAKEUP
Now this was hardddddddddd for me, I know you think I am crazy but trust me, if you are a makeup lover and a makeup addict you need this I know I did. Once upon a time, I was the person that would NEVER go out without makeup. The reason being I have acne scars and I am very self conscious about them. I never thought I looked beautiful without makeup. So, I was obsessed with always spending 20 mins in the mirror putting makeup on. I would always tell people “oh I am not myself yet wait until I put my makeup on.”
 
That for me was an eye opener, so I started, one day, one weekend and a week without makeup. It was liberating for me but most importantly, I now feel like while makeup may hide my scars it does not define my beauty, I am more than that and so are you. In the beginning I felt a little depressed about my scars but I thought I can be depressed or I can be proactive!!!!!! No pun intended lolol
 
Change is scary but it is good and it is growth, take this challenge and let me know how you like it. The earlier we learn to stop defining ourselves with our physical attributes the more empowering we will be. It was necessary for me to dare myself to take that leap and understand that in time our looks and bodies will grow, change and evolve. Let us appreciate our natural self as the masterpiece of the creator and while we can use these products to enhance our appearance it is most certainly does not define our beauty.
 

Xoxo

Debra

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment